- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 80g butter
- 80g flour
- 700ml milk, warmed
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 100g cheese
- 700g cauliflower
- 1 slice stale bread
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 25g almonds chopped
- 50g pancetta
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Melt butter in a saucepan on medium heat and add garlic. Once you can smell the garlic cooking, add flour, stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk a little at a time until thick. Add grated nutmeg, cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets and arrange in a baking dish. Pour the white sauce over the top of the cauliflower.
- In a food processor, blitz the stale bread, oregano and almonds. Sprinkle over the top of the cauliflower and place into the oven for 1 hour or until golden brown.
- When the cauliflower cheese is almost ready, place the pancetta on a baking tray and place it the oven for 15 minutes or until crispy. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Remove the cauliflower cheese from the oven and crush the pancetta over the top before serving, along with a few extra sprigs of oregano and cheese for good measure.
Recipe and Photography by Adeline & Lumiere
Print Your Shopping List